We’re looking for volunteers with an interest in local heritage to help us collect and curate research about the rich history of St Mary Magdalene’s Church, its connection to the development of the local area, and the people who have lived and worked here, both in the past and present day. Our Community Heritage project seeks to discover new stories and sources that bring Paddington’s history and heritage to life.
Working under the supervision of Grand Junction staff, Heritage Pioneer volunteers will:
• Research and collect information on the history of the church and the surrounding area, accurately recording information and research sources
• Visit historical archives, museums, libraries and other heritage sites, handling historic material with care and respect, where necessary • Work with other Heritage Pioneer volunteers to share, interpret, edit and curate research findings to create relevant and appealing content for heritage exhibitions and installations, information leaflets, the Grand Junction website and educational workshops.
• Create written features for the Grand Junction newsletter and local press circulars, sharing the fascinating history of our building and the local area
• Share research with the public at heritage talks, tours, exhibitions and open days
• Attend relevant training and development opportunities as deemed necessary to expand the depth and breadth of our understanding of Paddington’s living heritage
• Keep an accurate record of volunteered hours We value the contribution that volunteers make to our work.
About Grand Junction at St Mary Magdalene (London)
Grand Junction at St Mary Magdalene's is a new community, arts and cultural venue offering free workshops and activities for children and families, adult education courses, heritage tours, music performances, cultural exhibitions and a canal-side cafe!
Volunteers enable us to do so much more at Grand Junction. We're launching new and exciting opportunities to be involved in the development of our community hub, and make a difference for local people.
Grand Junction is a space for everyone.
Times you can volunteer
Saturday: Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings
Monday: Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings
Tuesday: Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings
Wednesday: Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings
Thursday: Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings
Friday: Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings
Talking to others