Stepping Stones Programme
The Stepping Stones Project works with and supports people with mental and physical health needs to enable them to participate in volunteering. At the same it provides guidance and training to Volunteer Involving Organisations with placements.
The aim of the project is to widen disabled people’s choice of goals and increase their expectations when developing skills and planning for their future. This can be achieved by adding new structure to routine, building confidence, increasing knowledge and forging new pathways into employment.
For organisations, it increases the range of volunteers available by helping Volunteer Involving Organisations to accommodate and include those with particular needs who have a wide spectrum of skills and talents.
For the volunteer we offer:
- On-site support to help volunteers settle into their role and the organisation
- A Buddy Scheme to support volunteers whilst at their placement
For the organisation we offer:
- A source of volunteers with a wide range of skills and experience from all sections of the community.
- An Introduction to Volunteering Programme designed for volunteers and organisations
- One-to-one guidance and information on working with volunteers with additional needs on inclusion and access issues in volunteering. Developing new volunteering opportunities and adapting existing roles
- Disability Equality training
- Networking opportunities to showcase and share best practice.
We can help you:
- Advertise volunteering opportunities and recruit volunteers
- Support volunteers
- Develop new volunteering roles
- Evaluate and develop your policies or practice in involving volunteers
- Enhance the diversity of your team
- Promote your success in offering accessible and inclusive volunteering opportunities
Read Zoe's story
Zoe Kumaramangalam has been a volunteer with St. Quentin’s Centre for Disabled Children for 4 months – designing posters, helping with mailing and in creating communication pictures for children and young people with disabilities.
”It is lovely working at the centre&...
Stepping Stones Buddying
My name is Iris and I’m a freelance Fashion Buying & Sourcing Consultant. I came across Stepping Stones Buddy Project back in January. I wasn’t sure what I could do to help people with learning disabilities at first.
I am so grateful to have been given the oppo...