We aim to champion rewarding volunteering opportunities and promote volunteering as a force for change and social good.
Our goal is to promote volunteering opportunities that have a positive impact on volunteers, charities and the community. We think that getting involved in the community makes people feel better about themselves and others. We also think that our local charities and community groups can grow and become stronger through the support that volunteers provide.
What we do
- We connect volunteers with organisations that need help
- We provide guidance, including courses, for organisations in good practice in managing and supporting their volunteers
- We hold an annual awards ceremony which recognises the difference volunteers make
- We run a back-to-work job club supporting people with job search skills
- We organise events: conferences, training and forums which promote positive volunteer management
- We work in partnerships with other volunteer-based projects in the borough and other parts of London to broker high quality volunteering opportunities
- We run recruitment campaigns on behalf of local organisations
- We raise awareness of volunteering throughout the borough as an activity that everyone can get involved in
Why do it?
We firmly believe that volunteering enriches lives, enhances local services and increases cohesion in the community.
Volunteers acquire skills, confidence and experience to springboard them to paid employment, a new career or a life change. The organisations where they volunteer benefit from the time, energy and growing expertise of their staff. In addition, the clients served by the organisation benefit from the service being provided.
Volunteering contributes to other people’s quality of life as well as the volunteers. It can provide a sense of purpose and self-worth and offer the chance to develop talents volunteers may not know they possess. It can help to build a sense of belonging within the community and the organisation as volunteers meet and forge bonds with new and stimulating co-workers and clients who use an organisation’s services.